Sunday, May 16, 2010

return on creativity: the argyle inside out bag


I'm in love with felt. What I love most about felt is that it doesn't fray. That's where the idea for this bag came from. Since the felt doesn't fray, why not sew it with the seams on the outside? And the argyle? Well, who doesn't love argyle? Here's how I put it together:

1. I cut out the outerbag and lining.  4 sides in brown outer bag, 4 sides of blue lining, 1 bottom piece in brown and 1 bottom lining in blue.

2. I fused one side of the Wonder Under to scraps of my blue lining felt and cut out fifteen blue diamonds. Then I pealed, placed, and fused the diamonds to one of the large outerbag squares in the pattern below and ironed into place.





3. Next I started sewing the argyle lines in thread matching the blue color of the diamonds. I sewed the lines by setting my machine to a very close zig-zag stitch.





I just eyeballed to sew the straight lines, but you could also measure and mark with a fabric marker. (I couldn't find my fabric marker, and consequently did rip out part of one line where I went off track.)










4. Match each brown outside piece to a blue piece of lining and sew together with the seams on the outside.
5.  I made small handles by topstiching a piece of brown felt and blue felt together and then sewing onto the bag.










There it is.  The argyle inside out bag.  I am currently using this bag to hold my embroidery project.  If you have any questions about the bag, shoot me an email.  I'm still getting the hang of writing instructions/tutorials.

3 comments:

areyoukiddingme said...

Cute bag!

Myrnie said...

Cute bag- love the argyle! Thanks for stopping by my site :) (Love that you're a "crafty CPA." For all the stereotypes there are about us accountants out there...I know an awful lot of creative ones!)

Malory {Snips & Spice} said...

I am such a sucker for argyle. Love this bag!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...